Saturday, April 17, 2010

Introduction

Hi, I am an audio production and engineering student at metalworks institute in Toronto Ontario. This is my blog about gear I'm looking into and some of it purchasing. The reason for my blog is to keep track of things I am interested but also to share my views and opinions as well as some from my teachers who are very well established in the industry.

First off I'll tell you about gear I already own so you can get an idea of my setup. I basically just do mixing and maybe some tracking of vocals at home for now because I don't have a conducive place to track a band. The hub of my studio is a MacBook Pro with a 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I have experience with a Mac Pro and IMac but preferred the option of being portable, but when I'm able to afford it I will invest in a Mac Pro. On my MacBook Pro I'm running Pro Tools 8 LE which is glitchy at points but still a very good home editing/mixing option if you can't have an HD system. To run PTs I'm using an Mbox 2 pro, don't get me wrong this is a very solid small scale interface but I wish I had spent the extra money and bought a 003 rack, or 003 rack plus. I just wish I had more inputs, for tracking drums and such but for now I can deal with just the 2 mic pre amps and being able to add 2 more via spdif. Unfortunately right now for monitoring I'm stuck with headphones(AKG k 240 MK II) which are amazing for headphones but don't have enough dynamic range for what I need. For microphones I have 3 Shure SM57s and a Shure Beta 52a, this is a drum mic kit but the SM57s can be used for many things like electric guitar or even vocals, and for some people, usually low voice, the Beta 52a works incredibly well. For now this is my mixing gear list I will be doing more posts on future gear, most likely monitors next, until then start following if your interested in pro home audio gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment