Sunday, April 18, 2010

Monitor Shopping





So I'v been doing plenty of research on monitors over the past 2 months and finally have put together some money for a pair. As of yesterday I had it narrowed down to 2 monitors in the cheaper price range. The first is kind of an obvious choice the KRK Rokit 5 G2, I have heard good things about these monitors of course other than they lack bass. Yesterday I was able to go out to a store and hear the Rokit 5s, I must say that personally I'm not impressed with them, I brought my own reference material which I have heard many times on a pair of KRK VXT 8s(at school), the lack of bass for me at least I feel would throw
my mixes off especially if I was doing hip hop or something like that. The second option I had was the Sky Blue EXO 2.1 system. The problem here is I don't know anyone personally who has used these, and have yet to hear them. I have located them at a store near my school and will go take a listen when I have time. I'm excited for these monitors because they come with subwoofer which should handle the low end much better than the Rokit 5s but I've also heard they are kind of computer speakerish(when I hear them I'll let you know what I think).

So since my disappointing test with the Rokit 5s I've decided that maybe putting a little more money into monitors would be a good idea. I've began looking at the KRK VXT4s which are quite a bit more but from what I've read they cover the bases that the Rokit 5s don't. My only concern is that a 4" woofer may be lacking the bass response also but from experience with VXT8s I have faith in the kevlar cone. So I will probably go test these sometime today because I saw them on a discount table yesterday(stupid I didn't test them). If I really like these speakers I will buy them on the spot, but will still go listen to the Blue Sky's for comparison. If I like the EXOs equally or more I'll return the VXT4s and buy the Blue Sky's for significantly less money.

I'll keep updating on my listening experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment